Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Marowack Two

The Marowack Two




"I Lay there paralysed, mouth full of silver and every nerve ablaze. Stuck in a hospital bed.


No Memory.
No Identity.
And it's funny, in a macabre kind of way... I knew that I'd been through this before."
Heck from Marowack and Kira the Menace.
Two against the world and each other.
They're about to find out that
love can hit like lightning.

The Marowack Two- LIONE STEVENS
Imagine being hit be lightning.
That is exactly what has happened to Kira, but its not only happened once. It's happened 12 times. She can't get away from it. By some freak twist of fate she seems to be a lightning magnet. Every time she is struck she looses her memory and almost every time her and her mother move. After another strike, Kira and her mother move to a small town in the middle of no where- because this town has the lowest number of thunderstorms in all of Australia-while trying to regain her memory.
She meets Heck who is her polar opposite and they despise each other. However, when Kira is hit by a bolt of lightning (sigh, again), her amnesia opens the door to a unexpected change in their relationship.The entire book is about Kira remembering her past and coming to grips with her new present.


This is not a very big book in popularity. I swear, I could not find hardly any information about this book anywhere on the Internet. Not on wikipedia- le gasp- or on Amazon.
This would have to be the most unappreciated book ever. I loved this book. Kira has a strong, sardonic female voice and the author switches between the two teens perspectives. It is masterfully written and the author encapsulates perfectly the feelings which the characters would feel. I found that I was drawn to this book immediately, I have never read anything like it and it was completely amazing, purely because it was so original. It looks like a fairly short book but it is deceptively long with the font size at about 8.
What I loved most about this book was the characters, I could just fall in love with their quirky natures and crazy antics. The author developed the characters perfectly.

I found myself sympathising with Kira's mother as she trys her hardest to give Kira a normal life (which seems utterly impossible).

This has a environment theme running throughout the book and the whole 'saving the trees' thing is very central to the plot and character development. Another good thing, this is set in Australia and makes more sense! And I also love reading Australian comedies, they are usually more to my taste than the American comedies.

I would have to say that this book fits into so many genres! Romance, Amnesia (Medical), Eco terrorism, Friendship and slight science fiction. I know it sounds like a weird book, but it is really worth the read (if you can manage to find a copy).

More information: (After lots of Searching)

Interview with the Author

Chapter 1: Extract

About book- Written by Author.

Publisher- Puffin Summary

Captain Libeka
Just a quick warning, The Marowack Two is intended for older readers. Eg. Lots of swearing and sexual references.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I absolutely agree with you, this book is impossible to find but the best read that i have ever encountered. I loved it.