Friday, August 15, 2008

Bullying

Bullying is a massive problem.



I was thinking about it last night. Why do we all relate so well to novels such as 'Destroying Avalon' and books which involve bullying?
The answer is obvious.
At some point in our lives we have witnessed or been victim too bullying.
Everyone understands what it feels like to have rumours spread about you, everyone understand what it is like to be in pain. But are we all really doing everything that we can to stop it?
Lots of people I know would rather ignore the bullying than seek help, even after seeing, reading and talking about the help that you can receive all throughout primary school.
I admire authors who have enough guts to write about an issue like bullying, especially if it comes from personal experiences. I think that these sorts of books help to raise awareness in teenagers about a large problem which we all turn a blind eye to.
How many times have to witnesses bullying? How many times have you sat and listened to someone spread a rumour about somebody else?
I can safely say that all girls in my school have either started or passed on a rumour about someone else- even though the intent is usually not malicious. I'm not trying to be nasty, but it is the cold hard truth.
Bullying books effect me so strongly. Even though I have never been bullied to the extremes like some of the girls and boys are in books, I feel like I can relate to them. I have had my fair share of nasty rumours spread about me- just like most teenage girls. I think that society just accepts that this is the way things are. I don't think it should be so common that girls and boys get bullied!
I think that there should be more authors out there, willing and daring enough to write about the facts and realities of school life and bullying.
Destroying Avalon is the perfect example. In lots of books it is step to a strict formula- girl/boy goes to a new school, girl/boy gets bullied by the 'popular people'- boy/girl does something that stops the bullying- girl/boy win the king/queen prize at prom.
Destroying Avalon- if you have read it- ends on a bitter sweet note and doe not sugar coat the reality of bullying and its consequences.

Bulling is wrong, you don't need to be a rocket scientist to figure that out, but we can all help to stop it by raising awareness and supporting our friends. But most of all, I think we all have to realise that it is a fact of life, there will always be those who are jealous of you and want to take away your confidence. Tell someone. Don't let it be locked up inside you.
Captain Libeka.

PS. Just a subject which I feel very strongly about, I had to express my thoughts. Sorry for the rant.

No comments: