Friday, August 15, 2008

The Host

Science fiction for people who don't like science fiction



Until 'The Host' I was never a big fan of Science Fiction novels. They confused, bored and annoyed me. When my friend lent me 'The Host' by Stephanie Meyer (author of Twilight). I started it and was immediately draw into her world.

It's been years since parasitic aliens calling themselves "Souls" have invaded Earth and taken over. Once a "Soul" is placed in a human host, the alien takes over and suppresses the humans mind. But when Wanderer awakes in her new body, she finds that her human host isn't so easily overcome. Melanie-the human-, her younger brother, and the man that she loves have been in hiding; and she'll do anything to get back to them, even resist the alien parasite that has taken over her body. Against her will, Wanderer develops feelings for the people in Melanie's memories and she falls in love with the man- Jarred- in Melanie's thoughts.
Going against her entire morals and her species, Wanderer and Melanie form a friendship as they join forces and search for Melanie's loved ones.

Meyer developed Wanderer and Melanie's characters from the beginning and I found myself so attached to them both as the book progressed and her personality was revealed. I could not put the book down and I am ashamed to add that I finished The Host at 3:46 last night (not a good idea when I had Maths the next morning). Althought it was odd, with the two people in one body, it was the perfect setpup for a love triangle- four people, three bodies.

Don't like science fiction? It doesn't matter. The book is more focused on the drama and romance aspect of the storyline. A really good read, and I recommend it to anyone who is busy waiting for the Twilight movie and the new book Midnight sun.


Further Information can be found at the following places
Wikipedia
Stephenie Meyer's Website
Amazon

Captain Libeka

1 comment:

Grumpyteacher101 said...

Goodevening,

To Capt. Libeka,

Your statement of I don't like science fiction (genre) still confuses me, as it is not uncommon in this school, considering science fiction shares the same literary ideals as Twighlight/Potter.

Essentially these texts require the reader to engage in the willing suspension of disbelief. e.g. belief in Vampires, aliens, wizardry and so on.

A confusing statement but it means that the reader must enter a world that is not solely based on reality. Usually the text is a commentary of what is happening in modern society...it is an allegory...

The question for the day:
What about science fiction do you not enjoy? Define.

Try these science fiction novels
1. Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy
2. Anything by Isaac Asimov...(check spelling)