Friday, August 22, 2008

Science Fiction Query

Science Fiction is that class of prose narrative treating of a situation that could not arise in the world we know, but which is hypothesized on the basis of some innovation in science or technology, or pseudo-technology, whether human or extra-terresial in origin.
Kingsley Amis (London, 1960)

It seems that the teachers were impressed by our blog. Slightly disconcerting, but an interesting prospect. A group of teachers reading out blog. I don't know whether to be petrified or impressed.
It has come to my attention that I have been very hypocritical. As will be pointed out in the next question which I will answer (Because I have far too much spare time).

The question for the day:What about science fiction do you not enjoy? Define.

Okay, Where to start?
I think I have been hypocritical and I will here I will contradict myself. I do enjoy science fiction, but it has to be a very specific type. I do recognise that fantasy and science fiction are very closely related and have many connections and similarities eg. immersing yourself in another world.
Just like fantasy novels, science fiction novels must have other themes and genres within the novel to keep me interested.
I like science fiction with lots of themes and meaning, I don't like the pure "death star, shooting laser guns and teleporters" the real hardcore science fiction (which I have to admit, there isn't a lot of around). Racism and prejudice's are my favourite themes for novels. For an example, I read a book called "The Chrysalids" by the author John Wyndham. This book is full of modern day themes which has been translated into a science fiction genre. This book is bordering on fantasy rather than Science fiction.
I don't think I am making my point very clearly.
What don't I like about science fiction?
The technical language about 'Space ships', this is the type of science fiction I don't enjoy. I don't like pure science fiction. I need other things included in novels; for example humour, drama or romance. I need to be able to relate to a novel to really be drawn into it and having themes, human habits or problems can really help me relate and connect with the characters and story. I find that I just get bored with certain Science Fiction. I don't know quiet what it is, whether it is the confusing and sometimes obscure story lines or the high-tech language.

Books like "The Hitch Hikers Guide the the Galaxy" is a wonderful example of science fiction which I do enjoy. This is mostly because it is humorous and full of characters who I can relate to!
Perhaps I myself have a prejudice against Science Fiction, my Dad is a big fan of novels which are exactly what I dislike about this genre (Hardcore Science fiction) and I automatically want to do the opposite of what my Dad tells me. So when he tells me that I will like his books and that I should read them. I automatically oppose.
I still don't think that I am making much sense. But it is Friday night so you must excuse me.
Not my fault.

Hope this answers everything, but I am sure that it does not.
If the 'Blue haired Girl' would like to have her say about this question... Feel free to post another blog.

Captain Libeka.

2 comments:

RavenclawGal said...

Once again, I am overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of words in your blog and come to the legimate conclusion that you need to get out more on Friday nights. Seriously.

But as I have no life on Saturday afternoons, (dead as I am from morning basketball...urgh...) I am drawn back yet again to my computer desk to write my share of the essay.

So, my two cents.

I agree with Libeka here; it's not the science-fiction we're against- it's all the jargon and technical language that leaves our minds in a frenzy. And science-fiction aren't the only offenders- have you ever read a horribly-written fantasy book that goes on forever about self-sacrificing heroes and doomed prophecies? Or a modern-day school romance that's all too predictable?

My opinion is that the best books are those with overlapping genres. Take Harry Potter as a common example. Sure, we have all the wizards and witches, prophecies and one death-dealing maniac, but we also have the modern-day setting, the romance, the comedy. Same with Twilight- the characters and storyline are so believable because we, as the audience, can relate to the situation.

Life isn't all a comedy, nor is it all romance. Good and bad times come in good measure. Books that allow us to step into the characters' shoes and see from their perspective are books we can relate to, and books most likely to be found, worn and dog-eared on our bookshelf of favourites.

That's my essay for the day. Hopefully you'll be able to find some sense in it ;)

-RavenclawGal

MarryatvilleKoobs said...

:O
So so good! That was exactly what I was trying to convey- although my mind would not let me to do so properly because it was, Friday night.
You are awesomly smart :P
Captain Libeka