Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Raven's Gate

Photobucket
Raven's Gate
ANTHONY HOROWITZ

He always knew he was different. First there were the dreams. Then the deaths began.
When Matt Freeman gets into trouble with the police, he’s sent to be fostered in Yorkshire.
It’s not long before he senses there’s something wrong with his guardian: with the whole village.
Then Matt learns about the Old Ones and begins to understand just how different he is.
But no one will believe him; no one can help.

There is no proof.
There is no logic.
There is just the Gate.



I think I am going through a weird phase. At the moment I am reading every single book that my brother has ever recommended to me. I don't think that its normal to be reading the same books as your younger brother but its too late now.
I read this book because I was bored and I raided my brothers bookshelf. Raven's Gate was written by the author of the 'Alex Rider' series. The author has stepped away from the spy genre and has focused of fantasy. Although he has kept the central character a young teenage boy (the same as the Alex Rider series). If you liked the Alex Rider books you will be sure to enjoy these books, and know what to expect from these books (the authors style or writing doesn't change much).
Once again, I think that this book is aimed for younger readers and boys, but I found it quite enjoyable. It kept me hooked the entire way through, and I was guessing most of the plot.
Saying this however, just reading this book alone is not the best idea. This book took me one night and wasn't very rewarding, but I persisted and read the second- The Evil Ones (Oh, how very menacing). The first and second should be one book, the action and captivating story line really picks up in the sequel.
I don't think most of my fellow book clubbers would be particularly interested in this book, but I personally loved it.
I would recommend it for people who are feeling like young boys :
No really, I recommend it to people who are looking for an easy, simple read.

More Information:
Raven's Gate Website
Good Old Wiki
Authors Website

That's about it really.
Captain Libeka
ps. Happy Birthday to Emma!

1 comment:

Ms McInnes aka G, K said...

Rebecca you are going to go as far as you want - but you HAVE to put in the quotation marks to avoid plagiarism - Like the first part of this post - from "He always" to
"There is just the Gate. has to be acknowledged.
I really hope that I can get another book club going - in 1 term mmmmmmmmm
please keep checking out and adding stuff - I know I am going to see some of your names in www print and world class reviews/ journalism.
Please say Hi to the KOOBs and keep bloggin'
Catcthya all later.
Ms Mc aka Ginny