Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Daughter of the Blood

Photobucket
Daughter of the Blood
ANNE BISHOP (How cool is the front cover?!)

Seven year old Jaenelle, is destined to rule the Blood, if she can reach adulthood. Her power is hidden; her family believes her mad. Saetan, High Lord of Hell and most powerful of the Blood males, becomes Jaenelle's adopted father and teacher. He cannot protect her outside Hell, where he rules. She refuses to leave Terreille, risking herself to protect or heal other victims of violence. Can Daemon, Saetan's estranged son, keep her safe from the machinations of the evil High Priestess? Or will he lose his battle to control his destructive urges and endanger her?


This novel has knocked Twilight from the top of my favourite book's list. Need I say anymore to convince you of my love for this book?
This book is fantastic! Although I will say that it is by far the most sexual book which I have ever read. At least half of the main characters have been raped, are prostitutes or have sex or thoughts of sex, at least once in this novel. It isn't overly graphic, but on the other hand it doesn't just suggest the sex. But wait, please don't be put off by this. I started this book and at first wasn't sure if I should be disturbed or intrigued- I floated in the middle somewhere.
The plot is complex and is full of different character (about 50 not exaggerating). It wasn't until halfway through this book, that I finally started to understand the terms and names given to different people or things.
About half way through the book, at the point where I began to understand it, the plot slowed down and allowed for a lot of character development. Before this point I was unsure motives of characters and what they really where. A character whom I had first taken to be a cruel and manipulative man, I now understood why he put up that facade and how kind and sensitive he was under it. As I began to know the characters I grew more and more emirsed in the story and found myself predicting-but hoping it was not right- the ending. I found the perspective interesting as well. The book is never, ever from Jaenelle's perspective. It is always from people around her, people across the country or realms. Although you never get to see into her mind, it is still refreshing to see her through many, many different people perspective. In every chapter, the perspective switches 10 times exactly and this offers you a broader understanding of the 'bad guys' and the 'good guys' ideals and plots.
And another thing, this is the most orginal plot I have read in a long time. Completely inspired.
This book has a lot of dark themes, such as rape, sexist beliefs and defiantly a strong emphasis on the mental health of sex slaves. I am now half way through the second book in the trilogy and I am just as hooked as I was on the first.
Although it does have dark themes, if you think that you can handle that sort of things, the plot is wonderful, the characters and well developed and the twists always keep you guessing, you won't be able to put this book down. I even cryed at the end, the descriptions are so emotional, I am even tearing up now as I think about it- yes I know I am lame.

The best book I have read all year (yes that includes the Twilgiht Saga *shock horor*)
Just a warning: Please remember that it is a very adult book, but its aimed for older teenagers. So if you are at all sensitive do not, I repeat, do not even attempt to read this book.
Related Links:
Amazon
Anne Bishop Offical Website

Thats about all really,
Captain Libeka

No comments: