Monday, September 8, 2008

City of the Beasts

Our blog is being used by people other than Blue Haired Girl and me! Go technology.
Not to be out done by blue haired girl- who pointed out, quite rightly, that she is the only one to write a book review in this month *shock horror*- I have decided to post an 'its September and I hate this weather' post.
Of course I might decide to add a little book review in here somewhere.

Photobucket
City of the Beasts
ISABEL ALLENDE


When his mother is in hospital, Alex Cold is sent to his fierce, wonderful Grandmother Kate- a pipe smoking, vodka drinking, old reporter. Kate is about to embark on an expedition to the dangerous, remote world of the Amazon rain forest for the International Geographic magazine, but rather than change her plans, she simply takes Alex along with her.
Alex is dragged into a world of adventure where he meets a strange local girl named Nadia and they soon embark on a dangerous adventure in search of a fabled beast.
The Yeti.
Alex and Nadia soon discover that there is far more than meets the eye in the mysterious Amazon rain forest.


I was given this book ages ago as a birthday present- once my family finally understood my addiction to novels- and I have just recently re-read it. Lately I seem to be re-tracing my steps and revisiting books which I have read earlier in my childhood. I think this is vital, I missed so many themes and major ideals and morals in the novels. It just proves how innocent and naive a child's mind is. I used to view this book one way, and now my whole perception of it has altered now I have a greater insight as a more 'mature' (not debatable) reader.

This was the first book that Isabel Allende wrote of younger readers and her mature writing style really does betray that fact.
I really enjoyed this book, it was well written and never became boring, even though the author used excessive amounts of descriptive language. Certain parts satisfied me, eg. the bad guys getting there comeuppance (involving a wild animal :P).
Underneath the bravado of the adventurous storyline lurks a deep and meaningful storyline which is riddled with religious undertones.
Basically, there is far more than meets the eye to this book.
Isabel Allende displays her wonderful writing skills in this novel and I was absorbed until the ending.
I have to say, however, that the ending completely confused me. I tried to understand it and failed dismally. If anyone else would like to read it and inform me of what the heck is supposed to be happening near the end, be my guest.
Although it was a slightly disappointing ending (maybe it was lost in translation when it was translated from Spanish to English?), I still enjoyed this book and its two sequels.

That's about it really.
Its kind of late and I can't be bothered re-reading this and making it all pretty. I think I better stop avoiding my English home work (I hate editing).
Captain Libeka.






RANDOM EDWARD CULLEN LOVE MOMENT.
Gah, don't you just want to marry that certain fictional character?

2 comments:

Ms McInnes aka G, K said...

Nah, I really don't feel the urge to marry Edward - he'd suck as a husband.....
About the ending - I haven't read the book but it would really suck if it "got lost in translation"
I am sure her multitude of fans - I was reading her 20+ years ago would protest vehemently - so I may have to take up the challenge of interpreting her plot.
You didn't make 1 spelling error - mmmmmm, shot
Ms Mc

MarryatvilleKoobs said...

I'm not feeling the urge to marry Edward either, more like Rob Pattison ;)

Blue Eyed Girl