Thursday, June 19, 2008

Pride and Prejudice- Classics

At the moment I have been having a weird time with the classics. Some people hate them, some people love them and others couldn't really care.
Jane Austen and Charles Dickens are prime examples of this. Jane Austen was determined to give all her 'good guy/girl' characters happy romantic endings (after her own sad lost love, as portrayed in a movie dedicated to her life 'Becoming Jane'). She is also determined to give all her 'bad' characters horrible or imperfect endings. Unlike Charles Dickens who often ends his stories with tears and heart break.

Well, recently I have been exploring the second hand book shops around my area and have found that they sell plenty of Jane Austen books, so I have been reading them and I am officially hooked.

Although I find they are often hard to read, they are a wonderfully thought provoking blend of writing and story telling. Due to my, sad obsession, I think it is time I 'enlightened' everyone to the all time classics.

Pride and Prejudice- Jane Austen

This is a all time classic. With head strong Elizabeth leading the way. The story takes a lot of setting up and many people will give up entirely after the first chapter. Though it is very rewarding if you do stick with it. It makes you almost with you could teleport back to Jane Austen era and fall in love with your own Mr. Darcy.

Plot (With Much thanks to Wikipedia :/ )

Mr and Mrs Bennet's five daughters are all unmarried, and when a rich,
amiable young man moves into the neighbourhood, Mrs Bennet hopes to secure him
as a husband for her beautiful, eldest daughter. The growing relationship,
however, is sabotaged by the young man's haughty friend, who regards the match
as unsuitable. When the friend in turn falls in love with the second Bennet
daughter, his condescending offer is rejected with scorn and the connection
seems over. However, events conspire to bring the various parties together
despite the obstacles and misunderstandings that separate them. Pride on one
side and prejudice on the other are slowly overcome and the characters come to a
better knowledge of themselves and each other.


It has been adapted into many films and the concept has even bee used in modern day romantic comedies, such as 'Bride and Prejudice'.





I read this book while I read other books, other wise it does seem to drag on and on and on and on.

-Beck

2 comments:

MarryatvilleKoobs said...

I find the classics kinda boring, i'm having trouble getting through Sense and Sensibility, but give me Twilight or Harry Potter and I can read it in less than a day.

Becky

Ms McInnes aka G, K said...

Great review Bec, you write very naturally and maybe others might give them a go, now, too. I like Austen a lot but don't ever ask me to read Shakespeare... we are all different. Well done, Ms McInnes